Lime Cupcakes (easy)
1 box white cake mix
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 container cool whip (normal size)
1. Mix cake as directed on box, add zest of limes. Bake as 24 cupcakes. Cool.
2. Mix together lime juice from limes and sweetened condensed milk. Fold in cool whip. Let chill until slightly firm and then pipe or spread over cupcakes. Refrigerate.
3. Garnish with lime zest if desired.
Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes (intermediate)
1 box chocolate cake mix
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
2 cups heavy cream
1. Make cake as directed, add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and vanilla. Bake as 24 cupcakes.
2. Heat cream on stove until bubbles form at the edge. In a bowl mix together chocolate chips and cinnamon. Pour cream over chocolate. Let sit for 3 minutes and then whisk until smooth. Refrigerate until cool and then whip until it is frosting texture.
3. Frost cupcakes and garnish with sprinked cinnamon if desired.
Tres Leches Cupcakes (slightly difficult)
1 1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cup sugar
6 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 cup coconut milk
2 cup lightly toasted coconut
1. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add egg yolks 1 at a time, beating until all the yellow disappears. Add the vanilla.
3. Add dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk to the creamed mixture beginning and ending with the flour.
In a small bowl, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into cake batter.
Fill liners ¾ full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees. While cupcakes are still warm, stir together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and the coconut milk. Poke several holes in the top of each of the warm cupcakes with a wooden skewer or toothpick. Pour the milk mixture over each cupcake while they are still warm, filling each hole. Top with toasted coconut. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.